There is nothing better than planning a trip and then deciding what you're going to sew to wear on it! From beach vacations, to city touring, to exotic locales, sewing your own travel wardrobe is very enjoyable! Plus, then you can clear out some of your fabric stash so as to justify buying more while you're traveling.
Travel Trio Three is a great pattern for cooler-weather locations and seasons. The pattern consists of two variations of tops - a raglan sleeve tee and a turtleneck with a unique shirred front panel. It has an A-line skirt either with or without clever pockets, and a ruana, which can be made in many fabrics, or even two knits so it's reversible.
The skirt can be made knee length or midi length. Try knee length for wearing with ballet flats or sandals, and midi length for flat tall boots.
Imagine yourself sitting at the Trevi Fountain in Rome. You're on the edge of the fountain, dressed in the shirred turtleneck, skirt and have the ruana draped over your shoulders, with one tail cascading around your neck. You catch a glint of the sun, look up and your travel companion snaps a photo of you, serene, sophisticated AND comfortable! That's the kind of experience you want traveling - you don't want fussy clothes, but ones that feel effortless when you put them on. AND you know you're keeping up with the stylish Italian women around you. And you want to be able to jam a bunch of these comfortable garments into a travel cube, and into a backpack and tour like a local.
The ruana is one of the most fun pieces in this trio. Try it in a lightweight sweater knit, or a light boucle, or wool coating. Or go reversible with two knits. Wear it open, belted, or with one tail tossed over your shoulder. The tee of course is a basic one. But spice it up with a color or pattern-blocked version, using different colors (or patterns) for sleeves, neckband and front and back body. The turtleneck's shirred panel can be made in a contrast print, a stretch lace or a sheer or burnout velvet print for a dramatic evening outfit (opera in Venice anyone?)
How to pack Travel Trio Three into a week-long trip to a world-class city using one carry-on bag:
- Raglan tee - 1 solid color
- Raglan tee - 1 color or print-blocked sleeve and neck band
- Shirred turtleneck - 1 solid color
- Shirred turtleneck - 1 stretch lace shirred panel
- A-line skirt with pockets - 1 print
- A-line skirt without pockets - 1 solid
- 1 ruana, reversible, solid to print, in a drapey rayon/lycra knit
- 1 pair of stretch skinny jeans or boot cut jeans (your preference)
- 2 infinity scarves (see our free tutorial here)
- 1 belt
- 2 pair shoes - 1 ballet flats, 1 walking shoes or comfortable flat boots or booties
- 1 coat (try the Easy Coat in a coated cotton or twill)
- 1 pair leggings (try the BaseWear One leggings)
- 1 Fitted Jacket (for a blazer that feels like a cardi)
You'll wear one complete outfit on the plane to your destination (saving suitcase space). We recommend the raglan tee, ruana and skirt with leggings and boots or booties. Wearing your heaviest/largest shoes on the plane is smart, so you don't have to carry them in your bag. If it is going to be cold at your destination (or your departure), wear the Easy Coat and layer the ruana over it.
Check out some sample garment inspiration right here.